In these days of the Absinthe revival it is easy to buy Absinthe online and it is legal, in most countries, to drink Absinthe in bars.
Absinthe is an alcoholic beverage which is about twice as strong as other spirits like whisky and vodka. It has an anise flavor and is made from herbs such as wormwood, fennel and aniseed.
Absinthe was famously banned in many countries in the 1900s, although it was never banned in the UK, Spain, Portugal or the Czech Republic. The thujone in wormwood was thought to be similar to THC in cannabis and to cause psychedelic effects, this has now been disproved.
There are many modern classic style Absinthes – brands which are re-creations of vintage and traditional Absinthes. Price varies according to the brand and the website you order from – shop around to get the best price and to find Absinthe sales, offers and specials.
Here is a list of some good classic brands:-
– The Jade Collection by Ted Breaux – These Absinthes are made at the Combier distillery in Saumur, France. Ted Breaux tested and analyzed vintage bottles of original Absinthe and used what he learned about the ingredients and quantities to develop this line of Absinthes. His Absinthes, which are distilled in old 19th century alambics, include a classic Pernod Fils style Absinthe, a Swiss style Absinthe, a La Bleue style absinthe, and Edouard Pernod type Absinthe, a new Orleans inspired Absinthe and his “Lucid” brand which became the first legal Absinthe in the USA.
– Absinthe Clandestine – This Absinthe is made by Claude-Alain Bugnon, former Absinthe bootlegger. This Absinthe is a La Bleue clear Absinthe made in Bugnon’s distilleries in Couvet, Switzerland. Bugnon uses traditional herbs, such as wormwood and anise, in his Absinthe recipes combined with Alpine herbs.
– La Ptite Absinthe – This La Bleue is also distilled in Couvet by Guadentia Persoz and her husband. They found a 1898 recipe and old alambic in their house when they moved in and are now using this recipe, which includes 12 herbs, to produce this popular Swiss Absinthe.
– Doubs Mystique “Carte d’Or Absinthe” – An Absinthe distilled in Pontarlier, France, the town where Pernod made his first Absinthes. This Absinthe uses traditional distilling methods in 19th century alambics but has a modern twist to make a different tasting Absinthe for the modern Absinthe drinker.
Buy Absinthe Essences
The brands mentioned above are all great brands of Absinthe created using knowledge from the past, but you might want to try your hand at making your own bottle of the Green Fairy.
Absinthe essences from AbsintheKit.com are a very economical way to make top-quality Absinthe at a great price. A 280ml bottle of Absinthe essence will make 14 bottles of real wormwood Absinthe! The 280ml bottles come in a kit with bottle labels and a measure to measure out the essence.
There are 4 types of Absinthe essence:-
– Absinthe Classics essence – This essence makes a classic style green Absinthe.
– Absinthe White Essence – An essence for those who like Swiss La Bleue clear styles of Absinthe.
– Absinthe Orange Essence – This contains real orange oil and makes a yellow-orange colored and orange flavored Absinthe.
– Absinthe 55 Strong Essence – The other three essences contain 35mg of thujone, the chemical in the herb wormwood, but this essence makes a stronger 55mg Asbinthe liquor with a strong bitter wormwood taste. Perfect for those who like the taste of wormwood.
All of these essences are available on sale at the web shop of AbsintheKit.com. And buying is easy.
To use the essences, simply mix with a neutral alcohol base such as Everclear or vodka, add sugar of you like a smoother Absinthe, and there you have it – your very own Absinthe.